Today's bits of hope are inspired by events of the last couple of days.
7 Yesterday was International Women's Day! All over the world people celebrated women and came together for a common purpose, regardless of their differences. There are various articles around the web about symposiums, parades, and awards to commemorate the day.
I was going to link to a few of those, but instead I'll just say that I have been given the opportunity to be whomever I want and I have the same rights as any citizen. I feel empowered, which seems to be the theme of International Women's Day in general (the official theme this year is Empowering Rural Women: Hunger and Poverty). I owe all of this to my parents, and especially to my mother. She has been a perfect model of success in life and career, always pushing us to be our best. She is a Catholic mother of six, devoted in faith and vocation, and the center of our family. She is happiest when we are happy and a peacemaker when we are not.
I love you, mom!
8 Today there was a wonderful event at the Meyerson Symphony Center in downtown Dallas. The North Texas Food Bank hosted their 13th annual Empty Bowls event. The idea is to raise money for the food bank by having local artists donate handmade pottery (really nice stuff, too!) and local restaurants sponsor a lunch of soups and breads. Tickets are sold to attend the lunch, and the attendees get to pick a bowl to eat from and keep. All proceeds go to the Food Bank.
I only just found this out - the Dallas chapter of Empty Bowls was started by the owner of Trinity Ceramics, which is the best (and only) Dallas ceramic supply store!
No comments:
Post a Comment