Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Issues

I don't want to run away from my problems, but I am sometimes to afraid to confront them.  I could complain endlessly about the horrendous treatment of innocent life in our country, which would only drag me down and lead me to despair.  Since that is exactly what I am trying to avoid I will instead present you with an article about a great new pro-life movement:

3  Ultrasound on Wheels!  This is 'Save the Storks,' coming to Dallas, Texas next week.  Being a regular van, this vehicle can park outside of an abortion clinic and offer free sonograms to passing women.  Save the Storks was inspired by Expectant Mother Care, which started this idea (on a bus in New York).  According to the article, they've had a high success rate in the past.  They don't intimidate or preach but offer help on the spot.  For any mothers who change their mind, Save the Storks will send them via cab to one of the two pregnancy centers they work with.

" ...the Storks are able to present help first. That is the key.”


4  This fourth item is a personal anecdote that I remind myself of whenever I feel like my words don't matter.

I sometimes think that no one really listens to me so there's no point in sharing my ideas or trying to argue with someone who disagrees with me.  I also think that I shouldn't interject in conversations or respond to an offensive comment because, let's face it, what difference will I make?  This actually isn't true at all for me, and it's probably wrong for you too.  I will never forget the moment I realized that people listen to my voice.

A coworker of mine is known as the office gossip.  I'll call him Fred. Usually it's completely harmless.  He'll know who the new employees are, where they worked previously, and what they specialize in before any of us know the location of his or her office.  He'll tell us his theory on why there is no 'beginning of the year party' anymore and we'll believe him because he just has those connections.  Another coworker of mine (her name will be Lisa) has had some personal troubles in the past and doesn't always make the best decisions.  I think she works as hard as anyone and is certainly more capable than some, but she does her share of slacking off (don't we all?).

Anyway, a year or two ago Fred started making comments about Lisa that didn't sit as well with the office as his regular gossip does.  I don't remember exactly what was said, but over a few days he would insult her performance at work or make remarks about her personal life that I know she would not like to hear.  I have to admit, I probably agreed or shrugged it off the first few times.  I definitely didn't say anything at first.  Finally, Fred said something in front of Lisa and it was apparent she was insulted.  She took what he said very personally and concluded that he hated her.

I was alone with Fred sometime later that day and I told him directly that he needed to be nicer to Lisa.  I told him that I knew he didn't agree with her, but he was being intentionally mean and she could see that.  I told him to give her a break.

Frank used to be in the Army.  He doesn't care what anyone says (unless they're his boss).  He keeps his distance from the other employees on a social level.  We have hung out a couple of times, but he's just not the warmest person.

A day after our conversation, he thanked me.  He said he knew he was wrong, and he appreciated me keeping him in line about that.  I really couldn't believe it.  If Fred actually listened to me, then who wouldn't?

I've learned the hard way that people listen to the negative things I say as well.  It was this experience that really made me be more careful about saying hurtful things to people - especially people I care about.

So if you ever feel like your words are unimportant or ignored, think again.  You might never know who listens to you or respects you until you say the right (or wrong) thing.

As a result of these discoveries, I've felt more confident in debating my opinions with people.  Especially when talking to a friend, I know they'll hear me and not dismiss my arguments immediately.  I know my words might sink in.


Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment